We stayed up all night Friday night, and went to the Airport with Abby, Jessica, Brendan and Dan's parents. After a stressful time checking in and sopping wet goodbyes (because of all the tears) we boarded our plane to D.C. After two long flights (4 hours then 7 hours) and 4 hours of sleep, Dan and I arrived in Paris around 7:30am local time (that's 10: 30pm Seattle time). It took us a while to get our luggage and then we got a cab (we had too much to carry on the train) and dropped off our bags in the luggage room at our hotel. We immediately grabbed a petit dejeuner (breakfast) where I was able to pull out my French for the first time. I was a little nervous at first, but think I did a great job.
Anyways, we then went straight to the Eiffel Tower (which is about a 7 minute walk away from our little hotel!) and met with the Fat Tire bike tour at 11am. We got on our California cruisers and rode through the center of the city. We saw such sights as les Jardins des Tuileries and le Louvre, Les Invalides, l'Ecole Militaire (where Napoleon went to school), le Place de la Concorde et l'oblisque, l'Arc de Triumph du Carrousel and of course many other beautiful sights along the way. The ride was about 3 hours long, not including a stop at an outdoor cafe in les Jardins des Tuileries.
After the bike ride, we were so exhausted, and were finally able to check in to our hotel. We took long cold showers (we both got a lot of sun!) and then fell asleep from about 5pm-10pm. I of course woke up worried that we had just slept away our time in Paris, but then I remembered how much we need that sleep!
After getting up and realizing how hungry we were, Dan and I ventured out, grabbed a bottle of wine, some cheese and croissants and headed back toward the Eiffel Tower for a late date. It was beautifully lit up and the park was alive with people playing music and enjoying the view. At midnight, the Tower lights up even more with these blue flashes of light everywhere. It looks as though there are mini fire works going on throughout the Tower. It was beautiful.
Our first day in Paris has been lovely. Most of all, we are so thankful to have these next few days to relax together, enjoy time with each other and emotionally prepare for the next thing (as well as debrief from last week).
We are trying to take the Ribera's (J & B) advice which is to "just be nice to each other". Through all the changes and possible stressful situations, Dan and I are easily turned against each other, and we are learning to actually be a team in the midst of hard situations. We are having a wonderful time focusing on the calling that the Lord has given to us (as a team united in Christ).
Please be praying that the Lord will continue to teach us to love each other. As well, be praying our car situation. We were given many monetary gifts to be used for a car in Malawi. We just got an e-mail from Jay Stoms saying that there is one for sale at ABC right now, so we will pray about whether or not this is what the Lord has provided for us. Also, Jay said that they are planning on moving us in next door to them (Huge praise!) so we are thankful to know that we will have a home once arriving in Lilongwe. God is taking care of us! (don't worry moms).
Le Seine
Arc de Triumph du Carrousel
Le Louvre
Dan forgot his sunglasses back at the hotel so I let him sport mine for a while. Very French! (Dan at le Louvre)
L'Ecole Militaire en nuit (notice the reflection on the fountain!)
3 comments:
1. I think you did a great job being nice to each other during the stressful check-in at the airport.
2. I've probably spent a total of four solid hours crying since you've left.
3. I am soooooooo glad that you get to live next door to the Stoms. That makes me feel a million times better about your safety, comfort, peace of mind, etc.
4. I love you!
Been checking in all weekend to see that all is well in Paris -- looks like you are having a GREAT time and I'm so thankful that you get to have this Sabbath together! We miss you already.
Sooo glad to hear that u will be living next to the Stoms! PRAISE GOD! :)
Post a Comment