Anyways, after the lesson, all of the children play games in the 'field' outside of the church. You can tell that they are so excited to have someone there to play with them. Most of the children were shy around me, especially it being the first time for me to be there with them. They did walk us back to the car though, and by the end, the children were telling me 'Tyonana' which means 'see you!'. I do hope to see them again soon. Here are some pictures from the afternoon.
Walking us back to the car. Notice the boy carrying the make shift hoe. He must have been planting in the fields before he came to the outreach program.
It doesn't feel like Thanksgiving today. I spent the morning with Eli like usual. I went to school and taught my class. We are having chicken noodle soup for dinner tonight, just the three of us. There is no feast (well, the usual Friday night dinner at the Chinchen's tomorrow night is being spruced up) and we are without our families. I haven't really been sitting around today thinking about what I am thankful for because it is Thanksgiving, but I find myself thinking about thankfulness every time I leave the walls of ABC. But not in a 'thank you' sort of way. Thank you doesn't do it. They aren't strong enough words. I feel more grateful that God has had grace on me. I feel floored that I was born in America with sooooo many privileges and blessings. I ask why everyday and still don't quite understand why I have been given so much and others so little. After all the thinking and questioning though, I am left with the fact that these children and I are the same. Even though I look rich and they look poor, we are both rich in Christ. We have treasures that cannot fade away or ever be taken away. I can have health today and be thankful for it, but what happens when it is taken from me tomorrow? The same goes for clothing, my car, money, Starbucks, whatever you name it. Sure, you can be thankful for those things, but they don't matter! i am thankful to be reminded today of what I have been given in Christ and that after all other things fade away (including life itself) I will be left with the greatest gift of all, union with my God through Christ. That is what I am thankful for as much as I can comprehend it.
2 comments:
Amen.
I love the photos, especially the one of the girl wearing her baby sibling.
Post a Comment