Tuesday, May 12, 2009

5 minute bread?


Many have asked me for the recipe of the bread I recently posted about. It comes from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery that Revolutionizes Home Baking. I don't actually own the book, but my friend Bech does, and he shared the recipe with me. Believe me, the first book I buy once in America will be this one (among many other cook books). I still have so much to learn about cooking and bread baking. Still, with this easy recipe, my family and friends can enjoy a delicious loaf of bread anytime we want!

First, find a bucket or large Tupperware that will contain all the ingredients but also will fit in your fridge. Remember, it will rise!

-13 Cups flour (white)
-3 Tbsp. coarse salt
-2 Tbsp. instant yeast (or 3 Tbsp regular active dry yeast)
-6 Cups lukewarm water (100 degrees F)

Mix and let sit in container (with lid on) for a few hours.
Put in refrigerator and use the next day!

When I want to bake bread, I take my desired amount (with floured hands!) from the bucket and shape it a little bit. Then I put in on a floured surface and let it sit and rise for an hour or so. Pre-heat your oven as hot as it will get. Opening the oven will always result in a loss of heat. (again, this is why you NEED the book! There are so many things to learn about baking bread!) It will still look pretty flat after sitting for some time. Do not be discouraged. With floured hands, form your loaf gently (always be gentle with bread) and put on a baking sheet (well, that's all I have...I'm sure there is something better for baking a good loaf of bread). Bake for 30 minutes or so or until browned (not golden...if it is golden, it's not done yet, trust me!) Let it cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting it. Enjoy!

This dough is very wet, so you must always have floured hands when working with it. I was able to make 4 larger loaves that lasted 2 meals and 3 smaller loaves out of one buckets worth of dough. It's pretty great, seeing as how you just mix and refrigerate! Still, I recommend getting the book as there are a lot of things you should know about baking bread. It is an art, and I feel like I am still in the crayons stage of things. But seriously, anyone can make this bread and I promise whoever eats it will complement you!

5 comments:

Hannah said...

THANK YOU! I was hoping you would share me this recipe!

Sarah Seitz said...

wow, that seems REALLY easy! i am going to try it this week! question, how do you know how much to take out of the bucket per loaf? also, do you know how long the dough can stay in the fridge in the covered bucket? i'm SO excited! thanks for posting!

The Robbins & Co said...

I'm glad you are both excited. This bread has really been so great for our family! Sarah, you can really just take out whatever you want! I have made two smaller loaves at once (initial blob of dough for each loaf was about the size of a soft ball). If you are making one loaf for 2 people, a soft ball size is good. One loaf for 4+, it is better to grab more. Enough where you would need two hands to hold it.
Also, you can keep the dough for 2 weeks in the fridge, but you might use it all before that. When you are running low (with about one loaf left) you can go ahead and mix more dough in the same bucket. Do not wash it, because it will add to the flavor.
Enjoy!

Sarah Seitz said...

Awesome! I wonder if you can half the recipe too if you just want to give it a shot? I guess I could try that! Thanks, Beth!

Blythe said...

I'm going to keep an eye out for cookbooks to send to your new st louis home!