We have done quite a bit of drawing, watercolor, and even scrap sculpture. Now we have moved onto my favorite medium: printmaking. In the first world we would use linoleum with proper carving/gauging tools and proper printmaking ink. But in our case, we used the double thick cardboard pieces I have been collecting for the last year and house paint. It has been good to use materials that are common around us. It communicates to the kids a few things, a) Malawi is good enough to make good art, we don't need to import proper materials to be accepted but rather using what is around us produces unique and excellent work, and b) creativity is not bound by materials, but employs them in its own purpose. This has been a real everyday issue for us, and especially for my friend Bech who teaches art to the rest of the school. It has been good for all involved.
My students became really excited about printmaking once they were able to see their final prints. It can be quite a long process: creating a design, transferring it to a block, cutting out the block, varnishing the block, and then finally printing. Yet, when I asked my kids what has been their favorite medium this year, almost all of them said, "printmaking!!"
I was taken back, but very encouraged since I love it so much. I am glad to have transferred to them an interest in the whole process and not just a desire for techniques (how do I draw this? can you make mine look good? what should I draw?)
Anyway, here are some pictures from our second round of printing. Previously, I prepared the ink (black paint), inked their blocks, and help them print. This second time around, I stepped back and just overlooked the process as they took it on themselves. It was really rewarding for everyone.
This is Chloe pulling off her first print very slowly. Segyo, just to the right, and Chloe were very careful and methodical in their work which rewarded them both greatly
Overall I have been very impressed with the creativity of designs, and in the execution of the printing that my students have produced.
As well, I have been working on my own woodcut, which I have finally started printing. I am trying to print enough of these to not feel compelled to bring the block home (wood is much heavier than cardboard).
The design is a Cattle Egret standing in grass in a tryptych type lancet arch. The Egret comes to Malawi around December and so is a herald of two things: Christmas and Rain. Both are good news to tired and dry bones.
Here comes the sad part:
As you can see, its a fairly messy work. Lots of chemicals, stinky paint, and stains everywhere. (Maybe that's why I love it, it reminds me a bit of the graffiti world I still love.) So clean up is a pain. In an effort to be quick I plopped my four brayers in tupperware full of turpentine, hoping to let them soak overnight, and be ready for a quick wash in the morning. Well, Friday morning I arrived in my classroam to four clean and ruined brayers. The soft rubber layer had swollen up and now sits around the plastic axle like a loose leg warmer. Killer. Stupid. Argh.
So, now I will have to figure out a clever substitute to my lovely brayers. Any ideas?
I will posting some more pictures of the rest of my students work. The pictures above are just a fraction of the great work they have done. I can't help but be proud of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment